Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What is Locking this File?

I often encounter the problem that I can not delete a file or remove a USB. Windows does not allow me to reject the USB safely. The reason is because there is some hidden process which is accessing this file. However it is not easy to find which process is locking the file. So it is useful to have a tool to detect such process and can help me to unlock the file.

I used to use the tool Unlocker. However recently I found that it does not work well with Windows 64x and was looking for a replacement. Then I found a tool called LockHunter which does a nice job. Using its is very simple. Just right click a file, folder, or even a USB and select "What is Locking this File". The tool will list all program using that file and offer you some action like kill that process or unlock the file.

No comments:

Post a Comment